MartinaBookaholic

Rette Meine Seele
Rachel Vincent
Das Lied von Eis und Feuer 7: Zeit der Krähen
George R.R. Martin

The Lost Prince (Iron Fey)

The Lost Prince - Julie Kagawa English Review:
I was back again in the Nevernever and I have enjoyed my visit! Particularly, because it was already a certain time ago that I’ve read the ‘Iron Fey’ series and I’ve missed the world and some characters in it so much.

I’m aware that I’m prejudiced and that I can’t rate the books of Kagawa any more objectively because I am simply just so a big fan of her and her world full of fairies. Other readers might like this book not so much than I did, because I also see the weak spots in the story and within the characters, but nevertheless, I was totally enthused – I think it’s always like that when you’re in love, as well as I’m with her stories. And also her writing style is as usual always just indescribable magnificent, with wonderful and dreamlike descriptions of the scenery – picturesquely like a famous painting.

This book now is about the younger brother of Meghan, Ethan Chase, who isn’t so small at all and nice, like we have got to know him in the ‘Iron Fey’ series, but he has become stubborn, recalcitrant and tall– also built very well and attractively. (You only have to look at the incredible cover! ^^)

Ethan is able to see the fairies since he was born, but he dissimulate this secret because the fairy only gets him in trouble, in big trouble, what leads to the fact that Ethan is reserved and therefore also lives a more or less lonesome, dreary life. The only ones, who know about his ability, are Meghan – who left to life with the fairies – and his mother, who doesn’t speak of these things, because she fears them. So he is totally on his own. Hence it’s understandable that he is quite a sourpuss, at least at the beginning. Of course this changes after his acquaintance with Kenzie, where we are already by the female main character.

I have really liked both, Ethan and Kenzie, and I could get involved with them very well and fast. They were also a great couple and they showed a nice see-saw. And I also must confess that Ethan reminds me a little of Ash, with his often rotten mood and his constant humming. But in return Kenzie is completely different than Meghan! She is a disobedient, headstrong, cheeky and strong personality and has whined not once, although she also has to deal with some hard things. I also think now for me she is one of my newest favorite characters and I find them both great, really great and I’m already looking forward to read more about them in the next part. To be honest – I can’t wait and I’m dying here while waiting for the second book. :/

But unfortunately I couldn’t completely feel with in the same way like I did with the first series (with Meghan and Ash) what is probably due to the fact, that Ethan is telling the story from his POV and therefore it’s clear that there are mentioned less feelings and emotions, which rules in him (but otherwise it also would be a little unsexy ^^). Often I also felt that he brooded constantly and too often over the same problem, although it was already discussed and I fear that this will also go on in the next part.
But nevertheless I’m really looking forward to the second part, because I want to read more about them and I also want to know how it goes on with the other characters. Particularly with Keeiran and Annwyln.

However, I think it’s a little pity that though Ash, Meghan or Puck showed up, they only were present for a very short time and hadn’t an important role in it. For me that would be okay, if it was just Meghan and Ash, but that also Puck and Grimalkin were very absent, has surprised me. I’ve really hoped for Puck that he gets a nice part again and gets this time also his happy-end, but unfortunately no. And instead of Grimalkin, these Razor got the steadier role beside the main characters and though it was also funny when he has chirped the first time ‘bad Kitty’, it become dull after the third time.

Also the plot wasn’t so very surprising in the story, because I’ve foreseen parts of it, which were also confirmed later on, for example the thing with the queen or with Kenzie. There Kagawa has probably already pointed to it too early, as well as the thing with the mysterious ‘Forgotten’ was no surprise for me. But I think that I see that rather fast in such a way, because I’ve already read all the other books from her. For somebody who doesn’t know ‘The Iron Fey’ series, the book offers more new things and surprise. However then the joy of seeing all the other characters from the first series again, is missing, which I really liked . So everything has his own advantages.
But I think, one can also read this book without having read ‘The Iron Fey’ series before. Everything is explained and one can follow the story also without foreknowledge.
For more Info: http://martinabookaholic.wordpress.com/2012/09/01/review-the-lost-prince/

Deutsche Rezension:
Ich war wieder zurück im Nevernever und ich habe den Besuch genossen! Besonders, da es schon eine gewisse Zeit her war und ich auch einige Charaktere darin sehr vermisst habe.

Mir ist bewusst, dass ich voreingenommen bin und die Bücher von Kagawa nicht mehr objektiv bewerten kann, weil ich einfach an Fan von ihr und ihrer Welt voller Feen bin. Andere dürfte dieses Buch vielleicht nicht so gefallen wie mir, ich sehe nämlich auch die Schwachstellen in der Geschichte und bei den Charakteren, aber trotzdem war ich begeistert – so ist es wohl immer, wenn man verliebt ist, so wie ich in ihre Geschichten. Und auch ihr Schreibstil ist wie immer grandios, mit wundervollen und traumhaften Beschreibungen der Szenerie – malerisch wie auf einem Gemälde.

Dieses Buch handelt also nun von dem kleinen Bruder von Meghan, Ethan Chase, der gar nicht mehr so klein und lieb ist, wie wir ihn in der Plötzlich Fee Reihe kennengelernt haben, sondern er ist ganz schön bockig, widerspenstig und groß geworden–gut gebaut und attraktiv. (Schaut euch nur das Cover an! ^^)

Ethan kann seit jeher die Feen sehen, verheimlicht das aber, weil sie ihm nur Ärger einhandeln, mächtigen Ärger, was dazu führt, dass Ethan sich zurück gezogen hat und ein mehr oder weniger einsames, tristes Leben führt. Die einzigen die von seiner Fähigkeit wissen, sind Meghan, die in das Feenland abgehauen ist und seine Mutter, die über diese Dinge aus Angst nicht mit ihm spricht. Er ist also ganz auf sich allein gestellt. Daher ist es nachvollziehbar, dass er ein ziemlicher Miesepeter ist, zumindest zu Beginn. Natürlich ändert das seine Bekanntschaft mit Kenzie, wo wir auch schon beim weiblichen Hauptcharakter wären.

Beide, Ethan und Kenzie, haben mir sehr gut gefallen und man konnte sich gut mit ihnen einlassen. Sie gaben es gutes Pärchen ab, ein nettes hin und her. Wobei ich gestehen muss, dass Ethan mich doch sehr an Ash erinnert, mit seiner oft miesen Laune und seinem ständigen Gebrummel. Dafür ist aber Kenzie komplett anders als Meghan! Sie ist eine widerspenstige, sture, freche und starke Persönlichkeit und hat kein einziges Mal gejammert, obwohl auch sie einige harte Dinge zu bewältigen hat. Ich glaube, für mich ist sie nun eine meiner neuesten Lieblingscharaktere und ich finde sie toll, wirklich toll und ich freue mich schon auf den nächsten Teil um mehr von ihr zu lesen.

Leider konnte ich aber nicht ganz so mitfiebern, wie bei der ersten Reihe, was wohl daran liegt, dass Ethan die Geschichte erzählt und dadurch ganz klar, weniger auf die Gefühle eingegangen wird, die in ihm herrschen. Oft ist es mir auch so gegangen, dass er ständig und zu oft über das gleiche Problem grübelte, obwohl es schon besprochen wurde und ich fürchte, dass dies auch in den nächsten Teil noch so weitergehen wird.
Aber ich freue mich trotzdem darauf, besonders weil ich auch wissen will, wie es mit den anderen Charakteren weitergeht. Besonders mit Keeiran und Annwyln.

Schade finde ich aber, dass wenig von Ash, Meghan dabei war – war ja für mich klar war. Aber das auch Puck und Grimalkin sehr abwesend waren, hat mich doch überrascht. Hatte für Puck gehofft, dass er wieder eine nette Nebenrolle bekommt und dieses Mal sein Happy End kriegt, aber leider nein. Und statt Grimalkin hat diese Razor die stetigere Rolle neben den Hauptfiguren bekommen, wobei es beim ersten Mal ja noch lustig war, als er ‚Bad Kitty’ gezirpt hat, dann aber nicht mehr so. Schade, schade.

Auch ist es von der Handlung her nicht sehr überraschend gewesen, Teile habe ich voraus gesehen und wurden mir dann auch bestätigt, wie zb. Die Sache mit der Königin oder das mit Kenzie. Da hat Kagawa wohl schon zu früh darauf hingewiesen, wie auch die Sache mit den ‚Forgotten’ war kein Überraschungseffekt mehr dabei. Aber ich denke dass sehe ich eher so, weil ich die anderen Bücher schon alle gelesen habe. Für jemanden der ‚Plötzlich Fee’ noch nicht kennt, bietet das Buch mehr neues. Dafür ist aber auch die Wiedersehens-Freude bei den Charakteren aus der anderen Reihe nicht da. Also hat alles seine Vorteile.
Aber ich denke, man kann dieses Buch auch lesen, ohne vorher die Plötzlich Fee Reihe gelesen zu haben. Es wird alles erklärt und man kann der Geschichte auch ohne Vorwissen folgen.
Für mehr Info: http://martinabookaholic.wordpress.com/2012/08/30/rezension-the-lost-prince/